Looking for fun St. Patrick's Day cocktails? This boozy shamrock shake is an easy ice cream-based adult version of McDonald's shamrock shake. It's the perfect over-the-top drink to celebrate St. Patrick's Day!
What better way to celebrate St. Patrick's day than a fun and festive drink? This boozy shamrock shake DIY recipe makes it easy with just two essential ingredients. Once you have the basic recipe down, you can go wild with the variations (or shenanigans). Think of this mint shake as the St. Paddy's day version of your favorite frozen cocktail.
And if you have the luck of the Irish, you'll be drinking it while watching a St. Patrick's Day parade in a beautiful coastal destination like Savannah.
The annual St. Patrick's Day celebration in Savannah, Georgia is like a city-wide festival with multiple events over several days. Including the second largest St. Patrick's day parade in the world---complete with floats, pipe bands, and Irish dancers.
It's estimated that half a million people will visit the city for St. Patrick's Day. And while they don't dye the river green, they do dye the fountains green for St. Paddy's Day---including the famous fountain in Forsythe Park!
Here's what you'll need to make it
However you celebrate Saint Patrick's Day, this easy boozy shamrock shake is a must.
While some recipes for boozy shakes use vodka, this recipe skips the vodka and uses cream liqueur in place of the milk for an alcoholic milkshake. It's the easiest way to make alcohol shakes. (You can adapt your favorite milkshake the same way by swapping out the milk for a cream liqueur.)
You can make this boozy copycat shamrock shake with Baileys Irish Cream. Or try a southern cream liqueur like Carolina Cream---this one from Six & Twenty is my favorite.
The secret to this two-ingredient shamrock shake is using flavored ice cream. Mint chocolate chip ice cream gives you all the minty flavor plus a hint of chocolate. The chocolate chips are like a built-in mix-in.
Depending on how green your ice cream is, you may want to boost the green color of your shake. Just add a few drops of green food coloring before you blend up your shamrock shake to make it even more festive.
How to serve it
Half the fun of this homemade boozy shamrock shake is what you put on top of it. Let your imagination run wild with some of these St. Patrick's Day drink ideas.
Here are some fun toppings to try:
- an extra scoop of ice cream
- dark chocolate chips or shaved chocolate
- chopped chocolate mint candies or marshmallows
- crumbled thin mint cookies
- drizzle with creme de menthe
- drizzle with chocolate syrup
- garnish with mint sprigs, green sanding sugar or sprinkles
- or a four-leaf clover if you can find one!
No matter how you top it, you'll love this festive dessert cocktail!
More fun cocktail recipes to try
- How To Make A Shamrock Martini with Baileys Irish Cream
- Boozy Birthday Cake Milkshake with Baileys
- Baileys Cookies and Cream Milkshake
- 20 Frozen Tropical Drinks That Make You Feel Like You're On Vacation
- 20 Easy To Make Boozy Popsicles Perfect For Summer
- Strawberry Winesicles: How To Make Wine Popsicles
- ¼ cup Irish cream liqueur
- 2 cups mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 3-4 drops green food coloring (or combine yellow & blue), optional
- Add Irish cream liqueur, mint chocolate chip ice cream, and food coloring (if using) to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and garnish as desired.